La librairie Clavreuil
Four generations of booksellers in the heart of Parisian literary life since 1901.
Librairie Clavreuil is located between the Senate, the Luxembourg garden and Odéon theater, in the heart of Saint-Germain-des-Prés within the famous Quartier Latin.
Established in 1901 by Charles Clavreuil, the great-grand-father of the current owner, Stéphane Clavreuil, our premises at 19 rue de Tournon opened in 1910. After the war, the company was run by Lucien Scheler, a friend of Paul Eluard, Picasso and the Surrealist poets and painters.
In 1977 Bernard Clavreuil, Charles’ grandson and Stéphane’s father, took the company over. Bernard Clavreuil was the third generation of this family of antiquarian booksellers established in the Quartier Latin since 1901.
He ran the shop at 19 rue de Tournon for over 50 years, with the help of his son Stéphane since 1989. Stéphane Clavreuil, the fourth generation to pursue this passion for bibliophily, became CEO of the company in 2020.
Meanwhile Stéphane Clavreuil, also opened in 2013 Stéphane Clavreuil Rare Books Ltd in London located 23 Berkeley Square in Mayfair.
Thanks to our relentless pursuit to find rare books in France, Europe, and all over the world, our premises have become over the decades, one the leading antiquarian bookshops, where curators and book lovers meet to find the items missing to their collections.
After his father Stéphane Clavreuil specialize in old books and manuscripts from the 13th to the 19th century, first editions of works mainly related to the history of ideas, great discoveries, medicine, science, literature and travel books.