Reissue of the original edition, richly decorated with 811 plates, all but 3 illustrating the costumes of religious and secular orders.
“Ouvrage très recherché, et dont les exemplaires bien conservés sont rares et chers” (Brunet).
Father Pierre Helyot entered the Franciscan Third Order of the monastery of Picpus, founded by his father Canon Jérôme Helyot. His Histoire des ordres monastiques is the result of twenty-five years of work. The book was begun by Father Hélyot and continued by Father Bullot. Crowned with great success, the Histoire des ordres was translated into Italian in 1737, and into German in 1753.
“Les planches sont fort bien gravées par Cl. Duflos, P. Giffart, de Poilly et Thomassin” (Colas).
The plate 49 of volume V is missing (Benedictine nuns of la Roseray), small worm gallery in volume VII; binding slightly rubbed, small wormholes in the spine of volume V.
Provenance: Rohan-Chabot collection (coat of arms on boards and library label at foot).